Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hamburger Inn

It may be called a greasy spoon. It may be called a hole in the wall. To me, it's small town diner heaven. And it's long overdue for it's place on this blog.

The Hamburger Inn has been a Delaware Institution since the 1930's. Located on the main drag (Sandusky Street) in downtown Delaware, this is a great place to nail some great chow at a great price.

The hamburger buns are baked fresh on the premisis. Same for the carmel icing covered cinnamon rolls. French fries are fresh cut and fried as is the same for the home fries. And breakfast is great.

The Hamburger Inn is also a great place to meet some of Delaware's notables and quoteables. Everyone from OWU students, local politicos and even some of the towns more colorful figures can be found at the counter seating only Hamburger Inn.

















The famous back entrance is a neat way to see the whole place.






















Interior shots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I share your love for the Hamburger Inn. My first experience at the diner was after my son-in-law and I replaced the garage door opener at the home, in Delaware, my daughter and he recently purchased.
Imagine my surprise when I was told it would be his treat to anything I would like on the menu. I pondered a bit and with the help of some local folks sitting at the counter next to us, I decided on a cheeseburger, fries, and an Ice Tea. Upon finishing the local delicacy I was further encouraged to try a slice of Lemon pie from the case behind the counter. Since my son-in-law was treating, I was eating.
AS I finished my last bite of pie and was washing it down with some Ice Tea, my son-in-law went to pay. I can still remember the lonely sound of my name being called and when I tracked it down to the cash register, I was surprised to find that it was a "Cash" only establishment and being of the generation of "No Cash", I was afforded the opportunity to pay for our meals!!!
This experience will live on in my memory for quite some time and I use it when appropriate to keep "The Boy" in line.