Thursday, April 17, 2008

New Digs


So many of my writings recently have been radio focused. Growing up, radio was an important part of my life. I went nowhere without a radio. I loved listening to the creative people who weaved their personalities into the music they played on the air.

I've written about radio people who have made an impact in my life.

I had always wanted a career hosting radio programs, but the desire of radio outlets to use my talents seemed to always be far less than my desire to work for them. Such sometimes is life.

And over the past 30+ years, I've worked partime on and off at various radio stations in my market. Most recently, I've been blessed to be a host at WOSU radio. I've been working there off and on since 1987, first as the host of Big Band program. When that program was discontinued in the early 90's, I've been a fill in host for a Bluegrass format. Two years ago, I was elevated to be one of the three rotating hosts.

Bluegrass music for me has been an adventure. I never knew much about it and frankly seldom listened to it prior to doing the radio show. While the other two hosts had a broad range of experience and exposure to the genre, I was like a fish out of water. My hosting experience has been a baptism while under fire. I knew of a couple of songs and about a handful of artists names. I can't sing or pick and most people would head for the hills if I attempted to do so. It wouldn't be pretty. Thankfully the station, the other hosts and the listening public have accepted this rookie.

So for me, Bluegrass was an acquired taste. Everyday I learn something new about the music. And the more I learn and the more comfortable I get with it, the more I have been enjoying it.

Recently the radio station moved us into new studios. I feel like Jean-Luc Picard
at the helm of the Enterprise. Doesn't looking at the picture at the top of the page sort of explain why?

No comments: