Friday, June 5, 2009

I'm Roy Harvey------WCOL News

I think my first experience of really listening to the radio was probably 1966. During that summer I was making the transition from 10 to the grand old age of 11.

It was a golden time.

It was the summer of that year and we had a annual pass to the Plain City swimming pool (known as Pastime Pool). Over the loud speaker system, they played the sounds of the New WCOL 1230 am radio. It was the top 40 station in our neck of the woods and frequently at the top of the ratings heap. Lou Henry, Mike Adams and others kept us entertained with the latest music and recurrents on Golden Weekends.

But it was newman Roy Harvey who informed us with the news. I'm not sure if WCOL had switched to the 20/20 news format by that time. I simply can't remember. But I do remember they still punctuated every story with dateline beeps. Three beeps with every story change. It gave each story the sound of urgency.

Roy Harvey had a Ted Baxter type voice. Deep and baritone. Only unlike Baxter, Harvey's voice had authority. No bumbling Ted Baxter was Roy Harvey.

And of course he closed every newscast with "I'm Roy Harvey...........WCOL news!"

As a footnote and as I was writing this, another memeory resurfaced. During this same time there was young lady from Plain City who was for me a tweens dream. Pretty, outgoing, friendly and just enough tomboy to be cool.

Her name was Connie Converse. Connie lived on all streets, Converse Drive in Plain City.

Afer that summer, I never saw Connie again. I did caddy for her father a few times a few years later and he would say she was doing fine.

I read a few years later that she had died. In 1974 I believe in a car accident. For serveral years after her passing, her father would run an in memorium obit in the newspaper. I remember reading of her fathers passing not so many years later.

Connie was never what you would call a girlfriend. At that age a girl who was a friend was just someone neat. And she was that type of friend. And for that she will forever be memorable.

Like Roy Harvey and those WCOL jocks heard over the loud speaker at the swimming pool, Connie will forever be one of those great memories that will never be forgotten.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good points and the details are more specific than somewhere else, thanks.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

It was through the discovery of this story that I was able to find the whereabouts of my deceased biological father, Roy Harvey, whom I never had the privilidge to meet. Because of following up on this information, I also discovered I have two brothers whom I have yet to meet. Hopefully someday we will. I would also be interested in knowing of any other next of kin to Roy Harvey. Please comment if you can add any information.

Chris Johnston. said...

Sorry. I have no additional information on Roy. I've always wondered where he ventured off to after his days at WCOL. Good luck in your search and stay in touch.

Gregg Campbell said...

Anonymous: It was my very deep pleasure to work with Roy at WCOL, Columbus in 1967. I had not earned the right to be on the air yet and was a lowly "phone boy" giving out football scores for a sponsor on Saturday afternoons. Roy kind of took me under his wing and we had some really good laughs. He would yell offensive comments up the stairs to the executive level (knowing all the time it was vacant)and attribute them to me. He also brought musical instruments in and practiced between newscasts on Saturday. As a newsman, what a tremendous voice. After I left for other stations, to finally get on the air, I was told Roy had become ill. I think this may have been in the mid 70's. All in all, one of the people you meet in life you wish you had kept better track of. A really funny guy and I'll never forget the laughs we had in that newsroom on fall afternoons. Was thinking of him today and Googled his name. Gregg Campbell froggyxray@aol.com

Gregg Campbell said...

In the photo, it looks like Roy is seated at the newsroom control board, as I remember it, with two ATC cart machines at his right side, top of the line and state of the art at the time. WCOL never skimped on equipment, part of the secret to their success until changing tastes in radio and FM did in the Top 40 format. In so many ways this was one of America's pioneering format stations and probably one of the highest rated 250 watt night time power stations in the country. All eventually undone by the dawn of FM, but it was great while it lasted.

Anonymous said...

In the late 80's or early 90's, Roy Harvey was retired and living with his daughter (I recall) on the nar-east side of Cincinnati. Batavia, Amelia, or just across the Hamilton County line into Clermont County. Understand that he was initially active in local theater projects, but passed away sometime in the 90's decade.,,,same era that Al Schottelkotte served in Greater Cincinnati, although Roy will forever be recalled with his booming voice on Twelve Thirty, THE NEW WCOL News! Bhinklin

Anonymous said...

In the late 80's or early 90's, Roy Harvey was retired and living with his daughter (I recall) on the nar-east side of Cincinnati. Batavia, Amelia, or just across the Hamilton County line into Clermont County. Understand that he was initially active in local theater projects, but passed away sometime in the 90's decade.,,,same era that Al Schottelkotte served in Greater Cincinnati, although Roy will forever be recalled with his booming voice on Twelve Thirty, THE NEW WCOL News! Bhinklin